Writing Tips #141: Ten Tips for Beginning Writers
1. Enjoy what you do.Which means, if you don’t love spending hours at the typewriter,
computer, or whatever your medium is, don’t even start. You have to be willing
and ready to spend untold hours writing, rewriting, and writing some more.
2. Be patient.No book has ever been written overnight. You’re in for a long
haul. This may take a year, or more. Oh, and since we’re on it: prepare to write
more than one book. Publishers want authors, not single books.
3. Allow your story to end.This may sound trivial, but in fact it’s crucial, and a
stumbling block for many writers. You need to find an ending to your story, and
let go of it. You need to decide to end the writing and declare your novel
finished at some point.
4. Edit.You know what I said in Tip #3? Well, your novel is not finished just because you have an ending. When you’ve written a first
draft, it’s just that: a draft. Now the real writing begins. Edit until your
eyes bleed and your fingers break off. And by this I mean: step away from your
finished draft, let it sit for a couple of weeks, and come back with a rested
mind and fresh eyes. You will see what needs to be changed.
I went out looking for college acceptance letters to edit on Google for one of my characters and found a bunch of cool stuff, so I decided to post it as a masterpost thing I suppose, alright so:
- THIS WEBSITEwith both college acceptance and denial letters that you can adapt.
- THIS PINTEREST BOARDwith other kinds of letter templates for college internships, references, housing, etc.
- THIS ONE with business letter templates for investments, banking authorizations, etc.
- THIS ONE with also business letter templates but for job promotions, fundraisings, employment offers, etc.
- THIS with resume cover letter templates, references, resignation, job acceptance, etc.
- THIS with different kinds of business apologies letter templates, condolences, costumer satisfaction, etc.
- THIS ONE with agreement letter templates, job agreements, sales, partnerships, settleements, payments, loans, etc.
- THIS OTHER ONE with appointment letter templates, contractor appointments, teachers, agents, employees, etc.
- THIS BOARD with authorization letter templates, for banks, sales, travels, permits, medical, parental, etc.
- And THESE TWO with fundraising and donation letter templates, requests, thank you letters, travel projects, school projects, etc.
- There’s more in THIS PINTEREST ACCOUNT for bussiness-ish letters and THIS OTHER ACCOUNT for more home-y ones like Christmas stuff or announcements.
- THIS ACCOUNT with kinda the same thing but differently organized, there might be some more, I didn’t check that one completely.
- And then a lot of images where you can get the logos and a general idea of how these colleges write their letters if you just look over THIS LINK. You might have to type the specific college if you have one in mind, or the location, if not then I guess use the one you like how it looks the best.
Teen Wolf Recs: Mid-Summer Sterek Recs [1/3]
Stiles/Derek | 51k | Pg13
In which Stiles has been living with the Hales for a few years as their assistant and friend. He needs to deal with Derek, who keeps coming to Stiles with bruises and cuts to be treated, while trying to figure out what the elderly alpha of the Hale pack is up to.
Stiles/Derek | 2k | R
Derek is an actor on a popular TV show who strikes up an unlikely friendship—and maybe more— with Stiles, a fan artist, when they meet at Comic Con.
Stunt Butt by otter
Stiles/Derek | 5k | R
The whole thing starts with Stiles’ naked body, which is, apparently, “perfect.”
Stiles/Derek | 9k | NC17
After the events of “117”, Derek doesn’t magically transform back into his twenty-five-year-old body. Instead, he’s stuck as a sixteen-year-old for an unknown amount of time. So the pack has to learn to deal with it.
Stiles/Derek | 118k | NC17
There’s something weird about Beacon Hills that Stiles can’t quite put his finger on. The way everyone in town knows his name the day he arrives. The way they insist the melancholic howling that echoes through the forest every night is just a dog. The way his dad denies getting a dog, even though Stiles comes home to find one sprawled across his bed, some big black thing whose eyes gleam red in the right light. The way that massive oak tree out in the woods vibrates under his touch, pulsing with sickly life.
There’s something weird going on in this town, and Stiles is determined to get to the bottom of it.
Teen Wolf Recs: Mid-Summer Sterek Recs [3/3]
Stiles/Derek | 23k | NC17
Senior year is almost over, and all Stiles needs to do is keep his head down to survive. A teacher calls in a favor, leaving him stuck tutoring Derek Hale, one of the most popular jocks in school and a member of a group of douchecanoes who have bullied Stiles for years. He’s someone Stiles totally hates. Totally. Like, doesn’t like him even a little bit. DEFINITELY isn’t attracted to him.
Except that is a total lie. Fuck his life, seriously.
Stiles/Derek | 3k | NC17
When Derek’s injuries mean he and Stiles can’t get away for the weekend, Stiles takes matters into his own hands.
Stiles/Derek | 4k | G
“Hey, buddy,” Stiles says, tone placating. “What’s the last thing you remember?”
“I dunno,” Derek says, looking surprised at his own voice. He squints in concentration and then hazards, “School?”
“Interesting,” Deaton says faintly.
Stiles feels something like panic settle into his stomach. “Wait then…do you remember how old you are?”
Derek looks at him like he’s an idiot, which makes everything seem normal for a moment. “Fifteen,” he answers, with a little questioning lilt implying ‘duh.’
So, actually the opposite of normal.
Stiles/Derek | 59k | NC17
31/M/New York. Rich, lays in bed all day, likes to read (aka Derek Hale, son of an Oscar winning actress, brother of one obnoxious reality star and one rebellious fashion designer, hates the paparazzi so much he’s a recluse)
26/M/California. Boring office job, likes to read (aka Stiles Stilinski, co-owner of a 100 acre organic farm with his dad and two best friends, writer of obits for a newspaper, has absolutely no life)
Or, where Derek and Stiles meet online, and Stiles has no clue Derek’s part of a famous family.